New System w/Windows 7

For off-topic discussions, posts, and other random topics.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

New System w/Windows 7

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:37 am

Just getting set up with a new Quad-Core Processor system with Windows 7. Everything good so far...except for some issues with all the automatic updates slowing down my web browsing!....and the free 60-day trial of Norton is trying to update from 159 days ago (70 megs) and cannot. It's never easy...and the way this was so easy to start with...I thought I might finally get through one of these without a problem! Right!

Not to worry, I have all the applications I need for the website on my Laptop.

Back to installing applications.

New Printer tomorrow!

Merry Christmas!
Jim Sheppard

Re: New System w/Windows 7

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:38 am

Loaded Norton 360....but it cannot update either....keep loosing my internet connection. The wireless connectivity is weak,,,I may have to run an ethernet cable to my router(ABout 100 feet!). AND we are getting HAMMERED by a snowstorm today! I might just leave it all shut down until the storm blows over. Got the old trusty laptop to keep me connected. I Hate Computers.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Bill Mims » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:42 am

I have such luck with computers that I have 2 laptops for backup. :? :?
Bill Mims
Copper poster

Postby RJ_Smith » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Not that I would recommend this to most, but I got so fed up with Norton, Symantec, McAfee, and Trend Micro that I'm finally running w/o any virus scanner. I did use Kaspersky Internet Security for a couple years and it was great -- low CPU and memory usage, 99.5% detection rate, simple setup, highly configurable too.

If you need help getting FrontPage 98 running Jim let me know!
RJ_Smith
Site Admin

Postby Bob Bihari » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Jim; Norton is a resource & memory hog, and far too expensive, ....and really doesn't do as good a job as some of the other Anti-Virus software on the market.... It's pretty clunky stuff...

Kaspersky is good (I used it for years), but the one I use now is ESET Nod32.... Small footprint, uses very little system resources, requires no "fiddling" once it's set up, & flat works (as long as you make sure to let it do it's virus definition updates - it will do them auto-magically after you do the initial setup & configuration). Easy to install get running, and they have a free thirty day trial. They also make an entire suite (ESET Smart Security) which includes the Anti-Virus as well as a Smart Firewall & Anti-Spam software.....personally, all you need is the Anti-Virus.

Good stuff........

Top Ten review: http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/eset-nod32-review.html

Free 30 day trial:
http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10185608.html

Have fun ☺
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Postby RJ_Smith » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:23 am

Nice Bob... I'd never even heard of ESET before, going to give it a try :).
RJ_Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:08 am

RJ...thanks for all the good advice. I will consider the ESET antivirus after my subscription runs out in about 5 months. Actually, I have been happy with Norton 360 v3. The first 360 made me want to gag...it was such a resource hog...but since then they cleaned up their act somewhat. If you are one of the ones who dumped them with that first version, I don't blame you. Also, I can now get the deal for three computers for a year for about $40.00 (Ebay)...and that's tough to beat. We now have (household) 3 desktops & I have two laptops. :bang:

Of further interest, I added to my misery by purchasing a new HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier A909n Printer. It does everything but perform sex acts! :P ...but when I started the install software...I ran into the "Cannot Proceed" crap since I have WIndows 7...and the Printer was designed for up to Vista! Sheesh! Not a huge problem...since I was able to download the installation software from their website...in fact, they must get a ton of people with this "issue" since they had a link to the downloads right on their home page! Since the wireless function is so weak on the new desktop, I have been running a 100 foot ethernet cable to the downstairs router! Althoughn the wireless now seems to be working just fine...the connection is better at times. It's all up and running now..and I am one happy camper...that is until the first time I have to buy cartridges and print heads! I don't want to know how much that all will cost. I am told the setup as it stands will give me over 2200 pages....and they sold extra color cartridges with it....so I am good for a while. :o

I am being dragged back to work tomorrow. I called in and tried to get off for the rest of the week....but all those gamblers I carry in the Limo are stuck in Atlantic City because of the 20 inch snow storm. They are screaming to go home tomorrow...and likely all very broke! :lol:

I'll be in touch with you after the holidays and we'll work on that Front Page 98 "issue". If you can help me get that software loaded, I can put off my Dreamweaver purchase for another few months. Our old Website guy, Ray Sarlin, advised I use it years ago...but I never had the money to even think about it. The application has gotten much more affordable...and I don't have all the debt I did then as well....so I am considering taking the plunge. I'd also like to be able to back up the entire site into the Dreamweaver and do things the right way . Working the site via FTP is fine, but if our server guys ever loose everything, I would have hell to pay trying to re-create the site from all the pages I have! :oops:

Take care & have a great Christmas...say "hey" to your dad for me.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Randy Smith » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:16 pm

"Hey" Jim, I don't understand all that technical jargon but I understand "Hey". :D Merry Christmas buddy.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Return to Off-Topic