Corona Virus 2019

For off-topic discussions, posts, and other random topics.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Corona Virus 2019

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Just checking in to let everyone know that our archives and archivist are safe and well in Cape Coral, FL. I am taking the fewest possible risks...only venturing out for absolute necessities...which are not many. I suspect many already know of the cancellations/mandates involving the 1st of the 50th at Fort Benning. All Graduations and ceremonies involving large gatherings have been suspended until further notice. I suspect this will affect the upcoming Change of Command for our Battalion Commander...but have no word on this yet. I am also thinking many of you are like me....pretty much confined to time at home....and on the computer...so you will likely be checking the boards here for new information.

Check in here with comments on your well-being and appropriate status. PLEASE no political comments. Regardless of your political point of view...lets set those issues aside and band together like the brothers we all are... and remembering, of course, that we are all among the highest at risk...a category we also once held as Infantrymen in Vietnam. We survived that apocalypse and will all, hopefully survive this epidemic.

Jim Sheppard, Your Historian.
Jim Sheppard

Re: Corona Virus 2019

Postby pt9243 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:01 pm

So Jim you bring up an interesting subject. Is the 1/50th still training and if so, how is the virus affecting their lifestyle? Things such as formation, DFAC's, sleeping, day room activities and on and on. Don't think they can self-quarantine.
pt9243
Silver poster

Re: Corona Virus 2019

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Visit this Fort Benning Facebook page. It will answer many questions.
https://www.facebook.com/FortBenningGar ... =3&theater

These known restrictions aside, the trainees are safer since they do not mingle with the outside world. Of course, the Cadre do...so I am sure vigilant monitoring of Cadre personnel health will be the norm. Leaves and passes for trainees have been cancelled...and our soldiers can take comfort in knowing they are all virus free and can mix socially in day rooms, etc in the Battalion complex. I am sure that if the virus shows up on the Fort Benning Base...things may become more restricted...and rightfully so. Also, as the weather warms...which is beginning to happen now, the virus does not do well in temperatures above 68 degrees Fahrenheit.....so there should be a leveling and decline in new cases in the warmer sections of the country soon.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Off-Topic