remembering Green and Powell

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

remembering Green and Powell

Postby christenson1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Today June 17th I remember Sgt Green and Pfc Powell who on this day in 1970 were killed by a mechanical ambush. The official record is accidental self-destruction but I've always believed that their ambush site was moved by VC or NVA because Sgt Green was more self aware of his ambush sites. No way now to prove it but I've always believe it as I also was involved in setting up mechanical ambush sites having the same training as Sgt Green and caution approaching the sites to dismantle the mechanicals was greatly stressed. I will always remember Sgt Green and Pfc Powell on this day and the sacrifices they made.
christenson1
Iron poster

Re: remembering Green and Powell

Postby ronnie.scott » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 am

I agree, Harold Green was a good soldier and Jim as well, and very savvy when it came to leading his team on the trails in the bush.
I know, I was his squad leader until i came out of the bush and he took over. I cannot say for certian either but it could have been that the VC moved it, you usually just don,t forget something like that.
I will never forget them both ,I remember unloading them from the medvac back as LZ Betty when they came in, swore I would never forget.
God bless them and their families.
R. Scott
ronnie.scott
New poster

Postby christenson1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:06 pm

I am glad that someone else remembers them, I printed out their memorial posting and keep them at my desk. After the unit left Vietnam in November of 1970 I was sent to the 10th cav in An Khe (Camp Radcliff) until was involved in what the officials called a non-hostel accident, I was in the back of a pick up that ended up in a river. I was out cold face down in the river which I was told by the GI who pulled me out (he thought I was dead) and was surprised when told I was still alive. We were medevac'd to Qui Nhon where I came to and he told me the story, I was then sent to another hospital and then back to the states but because of the incident I have very little memory of the people I served with or specific dates except that of Green and Powell. Thanks for remembering them and letting me know that someone else still cares.
christenson1
Iron poster

Postby don rainwater » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:16 pm

I was there . I was on guard on Lts track when we heard blast. I knew them both.
don rainwater
Iron poster

Postby pt9243 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:34 am

Interesting comment regarding running out of stuff. As a medic I often carried two aid kits for fear of running out of gauze, bandages, mercurochrome, and other necessities. Today I tend to over supply. Cases of water, bunches of paper towels, big boxes of cereals and other items other people probably have in modest amounts. Seems I can't pass up things that are presented in large quantities at HEB, Sam's and such. If you're in the neighborhood and need water, stop by, I need the space in my garage. Pete
pt9243
Silver poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri May 08, 2015 12:48 pm

They died retrieving a "Mechanical Ambush"....a Claymore mine set to be exploded by a passing enemy soldier. I believe the Communists found the mine and rigged it to explode when Green and Powell went to pick it up in the morning. Since they went alone...we will never know.

Also, I have been cursed with the same fear of "running out of stuff". It's a common "Joke" around the house that I have "backup" for everything! If you have ever been in a fight and running low on ammo....you can understand.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Randy Smith » Fri May 08, 2015 1:02 pm

Hey Pete,
Reading your post made me think of something I had not thought of for many years. Your speaking of carrying extra stuff in two aid bags reminded me of the black rubber pack I carried in addition to my aid bag. I don't know if you remember it but it was about two feet high, eighteen inches wide, and about a foot from front to back and had carry straps that my arms went through to carry it. It was waterproof and in addition to extra medical supplies, we kept things in it that we wanted to keep dry i.e., writing paper, smokes, butt wipes, etc. Wonder what ever happened to it? I hope someone got as much good use of it as I did. Thanks for the memory jog and the reminder of how such small things could mean so much back then. We played the game buddy. Randy.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Postby bobweilerjr » Sat May 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Gentlemen,

Wow...I am trembling with excitement and covered in goosebumps right now!!

First of all, thank each and every one of you for your service to this country! Secondly, my mother is Carleen (Walterman) Weiler who was married to James Powell at the time he was killed. As is often the case, she received very little information after he was killed about what happened. In fact, I was doing some research a few months ago and discovered that Harold Green had to have been killed with Jim. When I told my Mom that Green's records showed that he was killed same day, time, and place as Jim she broke down crying. She had always wondered if he died alone. She also said that Jim talked about how him and Greenreen had become good friends in his letters, and about how he played the guitar. She wrote Green several times after Jim was killed, but he never responded. She always wondered why...but this, along with some other information I have found, proves why.

She had mentioned several times that she would give anything for the opportunity to speak with someone who knew Jim in Vietnam, or to get contact information for Harold Green's family. If any of you knew James (Jim) Powell, or know how to get in touch with Harold Green's family PLEASE contact me!!

Thanks again for your service, and thank you for providing my mother with some closure regarding Jim's death.

Sincerely,

Bob Weiler Jr
bobjr.weiler@weilertransportation.com
(812) 212-3087
bobweilerjr
New poster

Return to Public Forum