Tam Quan

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Tam Quan

Postby harley hawkins » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Brothers from D company lost in Dec. at the Battle of Tam Quan .
William Farrell Buffalo N.Y.
Melvin Sodowsky Fairview OK
James Earl Wright Arab, AL
Harley Standridge Temple OK
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Re: Tam Quan

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm

Anyone recall an incident where an enemy soldier dropped a grenade into an APC from a tree during Tam Quan? Mick: From page 37 of your book:

"We still could not get close to the tree line as the volume of fire was just too heavy. Suddenly Bob Gold came on the radio and said that the NVA were in the trees! I looked up and there were flashes everywhere coming from the treetops! This explained why I could not see muzzle flashes earlier and why shot were hitting the tops of our APCs! I turned my 50 on them. Anderson was now firing his M-16 and most of the other APCs were now directing their fire to the treetops. You would see a body fall out of a tree or just a gun fall. Most of the NVA had tied themselves in the trees but now our big 50 cal. were tearing up the treetops!"

I believe this may be the event where Albert Oehler was badly wounded. He recalls that an enemy soldier dropped a grenade into his APC from a tree.
Jim Sheppard

Postby harley hawkins » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:27 pm

Jim I can not remember details of that event . I do remember Bob Gold saying a grenade was dropped in an ACP from a tree, but do not recall what he said about it . I called Dan Scott and he did not know either I do remember the snipper fire from the tree tops. I still have some of my notes from talking to people when writing the book let me see if I have anything from Bob Gold about it.
Sorry Jim I'm getting old.

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby harley hawkins » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 am

Jim I could not find much in my notes about Tam Quan . I think you have to be right about the grenade Albert was talking about as it makes sense. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Return to Public Forum