Update on Russ Roth

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Update on Russ Roth

Postby 1968doc » Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am

It is with a heavy heart that I bring bad news: our fellow Association Life Member and my fellow combat medic, Russ Roth, has terminal cancer. According to his wife Debbie, Russ nearly died in late March and she says that he’s now in Hospice Care. Furthermore, she’s not certain how much longer he’ll last since he has decided to cease chemotherapy.

Russ and I went to medic training together at Ft. Sam Houston; went on the same plane to Vietnam; were assigned to the same company (Delta) and got transferred to Alpha together. We even came home on the same plane. He and I, along with Jim Fitzgerald and Leo Ryan all served together for a brief time in Alpha following the An Bao battle. As you know, we lost Doc Fitzgerald in 2015 and Doc Ryan was lost in 2013.

Over the years, I have visited Russ at his home in the Northwest and he has visited me here in Texas. We even drove together from California to Ft. Benning to begin our 6 month duty following our Vietnam tour.

Russ was like my brother and I am truly devastated.

Roberto M.
1968doc
Iron poster

Re: Update on Russ Roth

Postby harley hawkins » Mon May 24, 2021 1:44 pm

So sorry to hear. My prays go out to him and family. He will be missed this year at reunion .

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Re: Update on Russ Roth

Postby 1968doc » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:51 pm

Since Russ will not be attending the Reunion, both his wife Debbie and I have arranged for Russ to join us using a Zoom Connection. Here’s what we have planned:

On Tuesday night’s “Open Mic” meeting, I’ll have my iPad connected to Debbie’s iPad using Zoom Connection. All those wishing to say hello to Russ, will line up and walk towards the front of the room, taking turns in briefly talking with Russ using Zoom.

This has the potential for being a highly emotional segment.

I hope to see you all there!
1968doc
Iron poster

Return to Public Forum