Battle of Tam Quan - Medal of Honor Recipient

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Battle of Tam Quan - Medal of Honor Recipient

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 am

Medal of Honor recipient Allen Lynch, Battle of Tam Quan.

Click on the link below to see a lengthy interview of Allen Lynch. In his interview, he mentions the 1st of the 50th. Our "A" Company was involved in this action on December 15th near the same location where "D" Company saw heavy action on December 10th, My An (2). I have recently obtained audio from this battle recorded by an "A" Company man, Steve Black, 2nd Platoon. It is an awesome and chilling recording of the sounds of battle. I will keep this in our Tam Quan file.

http://www.pritzkermilitarylibrary.org/events/2007/09-13-allen-lynch.jsp
Jim Sheppard

Re: Battle of Tam Quan - Medal of Honor Recipient

Postby harley hawkins » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Jim

That is a good story about Allen and I enjoyed it. We all knew that area very well as we had worked it many times with the 1/12 and 1/8 cav. units and by ourselfs.
It is amazing how many brave things you seen over there and never thought much about it at the time and as I age I think dam'n that guy should have got a medal for that.
Some did and some didn't .
Anyway I enjoyed the story thanks for posting it

Haley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby tjordan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:33 pm

Jim how can I hear this recording? I was in the second squad and I believe Steve was in the First squad. Toby. ( maybe i'm looking in the wrong place)
tjordan
Iron poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Toby...The recording is not on the site yet. I just got the disk from him last week & have not had time to work with it. Extracting sound bites is something that will take me some time...as I have no such software right now. This is not a major thing...as I think it's a simple process. I remember downloading some trial version software once to edit some of the music I have on the website. I've got about 5 million things going on right at the moment and can't put it all aside to edit that disc....although I would love to! You are welcome to get in touch with Steve Black, the guy who supplied the recording, at: GTMoxie@roadrunner.com
Jim Sheppard

Postby Bob Bihari » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:58 am

Hey Jim;
One of the best pieces of easy-to-use Audio manipulation software is Audacity....and its totally free.

Down-loadable here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Pretty easy to use, and does a great job with minimum fuss.....Have fun with it ☺
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks Bob...gotta work at my REAL job for a couople days...then I might give it a whirl.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum