WHat's up with you this summer?

For off-topic discussions, posts, and other random topics.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

WHat's up with you this summer?

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:02 am

Just thought I might generate some interest in posting on the board with this topic. What are your vacation plans for this summer?

As many of you know, I had an extended trip during the past two weeks...attending the Change of Command ceremony at Fort Benning...but I then proceeded to the Chicago area to attend my step-daughter's graduation from Northwestern U.

As usual, the Lake was beautiful & I took advantage of every opportunity to "cruise" down Lakeshore Drive. We then drove back to New Jersey...right past Rick Rajner's exit in Ohio. One of these days I'm going to have to ambush him...especially now that I know the extent of his garden veggie crop!

That's another topic I'll toss in here...are you growing anything this summer? I've got a small 4 x 8 foot garden with Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumbers and several spices doing extremely well. We've already harvested a half dozen tomatoes! Delicious!
Jim Sheppard

Re: WHat's up with you this summer?

Postby RJ_Smith » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Hey Jim! Not much going on here, finished up my classes last week and working on things for the fall already. We'd like to get a garden started, one of Kelly's friends has a large garden and she's been giving us tomatoes and green peppers all summer.
RJ_Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:37 am

I have no luck with Green Peppers. Tomatoes are fine and cucumbers grow like crazy. I also planted some herbs this summer and they are all doing well. I have fantastic zucini plants full of flowers but no fruit develope. Same thing two years ago. Can't figure that out.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Bob Bihari » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 am

This seems to be turning into "The Garden Club" :lol:
We have a few Orange and Grapefruit trees out back. The Grapefruit trees are really a pain though - when they begin producing fruit, they always produce far more than you can consume, and we have to go around constantly picking up the fruit & trying to get rid of it before it rots. Ever try to get rid of about 200 Lbs of Grapefruit? Every week?? That goes on for a couple of months every winter. :bang:

There's also a nice little Lemon tree, and a Key Lime tree that keeps us in fresh fruit to make pies year-round....(and of course - Drinks :D )

I also have a nice little stand of Banana trees (both Green & Red bananas) . They produce some gorgeous flowers and very tasty 'naners , but they also attract bears.......

...makes me less inclined to do any gardening :shock:

Have fun gentlemen....
Last edited by Bob Bihari on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Company '68. WIA An Bao

Bob Bihari
Bronze poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:59 am

Hmmmmm....I bet Bear meat is low in Cholesterol! "Fire in the hole!"
Jim Sheppard

Postby gladys » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

july 4th i will be in charleston sc for my great-nephew wedding than august i will be heading to the virginia mountains
bob, that bear looks like the one that was eating my bird food during the winter, must have heading to warmer weather
gladys
Steel poster

Postby harley hawkins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:53 am

Bob
That is a fine looking bear. It appears to be around a 350/400 range alittle rub on the back but I think I would take him.
I knew FL had some swamp Black Bears didn't know they were around any populated areas.
Jim
Try pinching off the flowers on your Zucini plants. If you reduce the bloom to about half or 3/4 I think you plants will produce some fruit.
Banana's I remember the Banana's in Nam we picked some green one's (because that is all we found was green one's) and tied them onto our packs and they turned from green to black.
Everyone have a safe holiday and remember our brothers this 4th of July.

Harley Mick Hawkins
harley hawkins
Ruby poster

Postby dontriplett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:43 pm

hi, I just found this site, my name is Don Triplett. I served 2 terms vietnam in the airforce,anybody out there remember me? :roll:
dontriplett
New poster

Return to Off-Topic