A Gaggle of Medics, A Herd of Medics or A Mass of Medics

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

A Gaggle of Medics, A Herd of Medics or A Mass of Medics

Postby Jim Sheppard » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:38 am

Guys:

A FEW DAYS OF FRIVOLITY IN TEXAS
Recently, Chuck invited Dennis and I to join him in the San Antonio area for a weekend of
fun; and I thought that perhaps this gathering could be combined with Ron Fischer's
project.

RON'S PROJECT
Ron is working with the U.S. Army, Ft. Sam Houston and the Commanding Officer of the
Medical Training Center for his project comparing the medical training of Vietnam Medics
with the medical training of today's medics.

DAYS OF FRIVOLITY
We could hang out, go out to dinner and visit Ft. Sam Houston where we would meet the
commanding officer, view some of the training, meet some of the medics-in-training. In
addition, there's the possibility that we could stay overnight on base!! (wouldn't THAT
be a kick?).

DATES
September 8, 2016 through September 12, 2016.
You can come and join the gathering at anytime and stay as long as your schedule will
allow.

Chuck and I will work on a few choices for motels & restaurants in the area just in case
we cannot stay on base. Remember, you stay as long as you want, though Ron will be
meeting with Army personnel each day.

I think it would be a thrill to meet the Commander, meet with the medics and stay on
base! I hope you feel the same way and will want to join in.

Pete, I think Chuck said you were still in contact with Frank Prado (Houston area) and if
so, maybe you could invite him?

Please me know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, as Ron is talking with the Commander about how many
of us will attend.

Roberto "Doc" Melendez
19binhdinh68@gmail.com
Jim Sheppard

Re: A Gaggle of Medics, A Herd of Medics or A Mass of Medics

Postby dan schlecht » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:15 pm

I have always wanted to return to San Antonio but Sept. 5-12 I will be in a beach house in Oregon.. You can get direct flights from Vegas to San Antonio cheap.(Allegiant Airlines) Maybe the wife and I will take a trip some day. If you change the time frame or do it again, let me know.. Dan Schlecht 68-69
dan schlecht
New poster

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Dan Schlecht! I was trying to find you...and it seemed that all your contact information has changed from what I had...no phone, mailing address nor email address. Please send me an email: kiss-ac@juno.com (Jim Sheppard)

You may still be able to connect with the group as the dates have changed slightly. The actual Fort Sam Houston visits will now be on the 12th and 13th. I suspect most will come for the preceding weekend of the 9th - 11th.

I will be there as a token "non-medic"...and it would be nice to finally meet you after all these years.

I am rather pumped about this event!

Jim Sheppard
Jim Sheppard

Postby Jim Sheppard » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Guys:

The dates for the "Gaggle of Medics" has changed slightly to September 12th & 13th so that we can actually view the training.  Even though Chuck will not be attending the Tuesday training class with us, he would like to all of us to go to his "Club" for dinner. HE NEEDS A DAY OF ARRIVAL AND OF DEPARTURE SO HE CAN WORK ON THE DINNER RESERVATIONS.  Chuck is also working on some choices for nearby motels and restaurants.

Here's a suggested itinerary for our "gaggle gathering":

9/11-----Sunday, Arrive PM or Night.
9/12-----Monday,Medic Training at Ft. Sam Houston.
9/12-----Monday, Possible Dinner at Chuck's Club.
9/13-----Tuesday,Medic Training at Ft. Sam Houston.
9/13-----Tuesday, Possible Dinner at Chuck's Club.
9/14-----Wednesday, Check Out.

Ron says the one of the main instructors at the Medical Training Center is a former Combat Medic, Special Forces, Vietnam 1969 and he's looking forward to meeting us!Â

Here are the names of those who have indicated that they're attending:

Ron Fischer
Chuck McAleer
Jim Sheppard
Dennis Apana
Pete Tovar
Toby Milroy
Kevin Begley
Robert Melendez

Guys, this really sounds like this could really be a kick; I'm looking forward to it and hope you are too!

Roberto "Doc" Melendez
Jim Sheppard

Postby Jim Sheppard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:31 am

MOTEL SELECTION UPDATE

ROOM COST
* A 5 Room discount & a Veterans Discount.
* An Airport Shuttle to Motel.
*Breakfast each morning.
*ROOM COST: $59 per night (excluding tax).
*Located 1 mile from the Airport.

TRAVEL LODGE INN & SUITES .
2383 NE LOOP IH410. 78217
1-210-599-4204.
ASK FOR 1st50th ASSOCIATION BLOCK OF ROOMS.

SUNDAY NIGHT(9/11).
MONDAY NIGHT(9/12).
TUESDAY NIGHT(9/13).
CHECKOUT WEDNESDAY MORNING.

I think that when we stay at the same motel it adds to our overall fun experience
(similar to our Reunions). I hope you agree and that you can arrange your schedule for a
Sunday 9/11 arrival at the Travel Lodge.

TUESDAY NIGHT CLUB DINNER
Chuck wants us to have dinner at his club on Tuesday night; so to help with
transportation, Dennis and I will have vehicles. But if we need another, perhaps Chuck
can drive as well.

SHIRT
Lastly, PLEASE SEND ME YOUR SHIRT SIZE AND YEAR OF VIETNAM SERVICE.

Please let me know if you have questions. Thanks!

Roberto "Doc" Melendez.
Jim Sheppard

Postby Randy Smith » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:37 pm

Robert, Toby is looking into the plane and motel for us and i sent the years of 1967 and 1968 for the shirts. I also sent you my phone # in an e-mail. looking forward to seeing everyone and the old base but I probably won't recognize it now. See you soon.
Randy Smith
Platinum poster

Return to Public Forum