Urine Retention

Members may post in this forum, but anyone may read posts.

Moderators: Jim Sheppard, RJ_Smith

Urine Retention

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 pm

I wanted to share something with everyone....as it is related to getting up to urinate several times during the night. A common occurrence in men who are both aging and/or have some sort or prostate issue.

For a long time now, I have had to get up and urinate at least once a night. During the recent break-up of my marriage, I found myself getting up 3 and 4 times every night (Possibly stress related? I don't know)

I seem to have migrated back to only once a night now maybe twice sometimes...but 3 days ago, I had occasion to take an Advil before going to bed...as I had a painful finger that I had accidentally whacked with a hammer. In the morning, I realized I had not had to get up to urinate...and had slept for 8 hours! I tried again the next night...same result...and now last night was the third straight night!

I did a little reading on-line...and there were some reports of this phenomenon...but nothing has been medically substantiated.

I don't know if it is the Advil, or a combination of medicines I take, but I thought I would share it here. There is a possibility it is the Advil and an over the counter sinus medicine I recently went back to...as my allergies have returned with my move back to New Jersey. I take medicines for high Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, 2x 1 g pharmacy grade Omega 3 Fish Oil, one 82 mg aspirin per day and Metformin in the morning, but the only one mentioned in relation to urination was the Zyrtec (cetirizine hydrochloride) which is an antihistamine I started taking again for my allergies. Some speculated that the two combined (Advil and Antihistamine) might be the cause of the phenomenon.

If any of you try taking an Advil at bedtime and have the some positive affect...please post here. I am curious to know. I don't know about long term side affects of taking one Advil every day...so I might not continue to take the Advil every day...but it would be nice ti know it will work when I do.
Jim Sheppard

Re: Urine Retention

Postby pt9243 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Excellent post, Jim. I too have been plagued by frequent night time urination. This led me to a urologist and although my PSA readings have been up and down, sometimes over the norm, he has suggested a prostate MRI which I am trying to schedule now. Nothing definite at this time but I do take a generic Ambien to help me sleep and have been for quite some time. I know taking a sleeping aid on a regular basis is not a good thing but otherwise I would not sleep at all. I'm going to give your OTC meds a try. Thanks,

Pete
pt9243
Silver poster

Re: Urine Retention

Postby Jim Sheppard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks Pete. Advil (Ibuprofen) is an anti-Inflammatory medication that I am "assuming" has a tendency to reduce swelling in the Prostate. Not sure how it helps with urine retention, so maybe it is the combination of the Zyrtec Anti-histamine AND the Advil. The Zyrtec is great if you have stuffiness associated with Allergies/Sinus issues. It may cause some drowsiness in new users...and takes maybe a day to take full affect...so look for good results to begin on the second day. 1 pill per 24 hours MAX. I get mine on eBay...just be careful of the expiration dates. Also just started on the gelcap variety.

I previously used Zyrtec for nearly 20 years...and developed a tolerance in 2014 and had to switch to Claritan. I did not care for it as much, but it worked nearly as well. Still, from time to time my allergies would flare on Claritan and I would switch to Allegra...which is very good. The VA only supplies Claritan...so going to other sinus meds can be expensive...even though all the meds mentioned here can now be bought without a prescription (Over the counter). After 3 years off the Zyrtec, I have returned to using it. It has always been my preferred sinus medication...and is, once again, working well for me.
Jim Sheppard

Return to Public Forum